Tuesday 29th September                                                           Ashford Town 0 Tooting & Mitcham 2 


With just one change to Saturday’s starting line up which saw George Ademiluyi come in for Dean Hamlin, Tooting struggled to build on the momentum of their Buildbase FA Trophy win as they made hard work of a dogged Ashford Town side who closed them down and denied them space to play at every opportunity. In an otherwise uneventful game, it took two special goals, in the final quarter of an hour, to bring it to life.


For the opening forty five minutes, the home side had most of the territorial advantage. Distribution of the ball out from the back was poor from the Terrors and their forward play appeared predictable and lacking in imagination. Gary Ross was by far the busier of the two ‘keepers and had Ashford been a little sharper up front, they would no doubt have gone in at the break with their noses deservedly in front. As it was they weren’t, and they didn’t. HT: Ashford Town (Middx) 0, TMUFC 0

The second half started off in a similar way to the first however as it wore on, the Terrors gradually began to take control without, up until that point, really threatening. The closest they came to scoring was on 70 minutes when Dontai Stewart made a late run to meet a Jake Rose corner from the right with a powerful downward header. Unfortunately for the young Tooting striker, he headed the ball straight down into the ground and could only watch in despair, as with the ‘keeper beaten, the ball bounced right back up, and over the crossbar.


The breakthrough for Tooting finally came on 76 minutes. It was a goal out of nothing; a superb strike by Jake Rose from about thirty yards out which rifled into the roof of the net. This seemed to inspire Tooting and suddenly they turned up the pressure, attacking Ashford down both flanks. It was another special goal, this time from Donati Stewart that finally sealed the game for Tooting. On 80 minutes, he found himself with the ball on the edge of the penalty area, out on Tooting’s left. He made space for himself and shot into the far corner, curling the ball away from the ‘keeper with the outside of his foot, and into the back of the net. FT: Ashford Town (Middx) 0, TMUFC 2 Att 153


TMUFC line up; Gary Ross, George Ademiluyi, Ahkeem Belford, Nathan Daly, Tom Jelley, Jamarie Brissett, Daryl Coleman, Mark Waters, Jake Rose, Dan Williams (Kesna Clarke 84), Dontai Stewart (Levi Phillips 86), Unused subs; Dean Hamlin, Mo Sahnoun, Ermis Mezini


Saturday 26th September                                                    AFC Dunstable 1 Tooting & Mitcham 2


On Wednesday evening, Kesna Clarke, fired home two goals against Ebbsfleet United, to help send the Terrors’ under 18s side through to the Second Qualifying round of this season’s FA Youth Cup. Today at Creasy Park, he came off the bench with just four minutes remaining, and two minutes later, with virtually his first touch of the game, scored the winner for his senior colleagues to send Tooting into the Second Qualifying round of the Buildbase FA Trophy, with a deserved victory over Southern League Division one side, AFC Dunstable.


The game kicked off today with the Terrors showing three changes from the starting line up defeated by Hertford Town last weekend. Jamarie Brissett came in for Mo Sahoun at left wing back, Ahkeem Belford took over in central defence from Sinn’Kaye Christie, whilst Duncan Culley, injured in the first half last week was replaced up front by Dan Williams. Although the home side probably made the better start to the opening five minutes or so of the game, Tooting soon settled into their stride and began to assert themselves on the game. Ahkeem Belford looked solid at the back and also caused a few problems for the home defence from set pieces with his late runs and ability in the air. Tom Jelley, Jake Rose and Danny Williams frequently linked up well down the right hand side, whilst skipper Daryl Coleman and Mark Waters both looked strong as a pairing in central midfield. Despite plenty of pressure throughout the half, Tooting had to wait until five minutes before the break before they were finally able to break the deadlock. It came when Mark Waters found the ball coming to him about 8 yards out from goal after the Dunstable defence had been unable to clear a good looking cross from Dontai Stewart from deep out on the left. As the ball came to Waters, he turned and shot in one movement, left footed, to send the ball past ‘keeper Dan Green to send the Terrors into the half time break with a one goal advantage. HT: AFC Dunstable 0, TMUFC 1


The second half started off in a similar vain to the first with Dunstable looking the more threatening in the opening encounters. This time their early superiority lasted a little longer than five minutes and seven minutes after the re-start, half time substitute Jervon Campbell drew them level with an excellent effort from the edge of the box. Once again though, Tooting fought they way back into it and appeared to grow stronger as the half progressed and came close to regaining the lead when Mark Waters battled his way through a forest of defenders just inside the Dunstable penalty area, before finally firing his effort just wide. With just four minutes of the ninety remaining, 17 year old Kesna Clarke was thrown into the fray, replacing Dontai Stewart who had worked tirelessly throughout. The young striker was immediately involved in the game, his first touch being when he was struck on the backside, just inside the penalty area, by a goal bound effort from Jake Rose. His second and third touches were far more telling however. With the game clock now on 88 minutes, Jamarie Brissett, who up until this point had been kept fairly quiet, made a superb run down the left, cutting into the penalty area and reaching the bye line, from where he played the ball back and into Clarke who had his back to goal and a defender tight behind him. With his first touch, he rolled the ball across the defender and with his second, he turned and shot in one movement, sending the ball past the ‘keeper and into the bottom corner of the net. Cue the celebrations both on and off the pitch. FT: AFC Dunstable 1, TMUFC 2 Att 97.


TMUFC line up; Gary Ross, Dean Hamlin, Ahkeem Belford, Nathan Daly, Tom Jelley, Jamarie Brissett,

Daryl Coleman, Mark Waters, Jake Rose, Danny Williams, Dontai Stewart (Kesna Clarke 86), Unused subs; Mo Sahnoun, Ermis Mezini, Sinn’Kaye Christie, Noah Kelo, Levi Phillips, George Ademiluyi

Tooting’s reward for victory today is a home tie in the Second Qualifying round on 17th October when Romford will be the visitors to Imperial Fields



Saturday 19th September                                                  Tooting & Mitcham 2 - 1 Hertford Town FC


It was a second consecutive disappointing home performance from The Terrors this afternoon as they fell to defeat against Hertford Town in their opening league game of the season, despite dominating for long periods of time, particularly in the second half.


They fell behind in the game with just 9 minutes on the clock. A harmless looking ball through the middle appeared to be a straight race between Tooting ‘keeper Gary Ross and Hertford’s Girsawek Jagdev with the Terrors’ stopper looking favourite. However he appeared to hesitate for some reason, allowing Jagdev to get a toe end to the ball just ahead of him on the edge of the box, which was enough to see the ball over the line and give the visitors the lead. That lead was then double in the 28th minute after David Ogbonna sent a sweet, curling shot from just inside the box, into the top left hand corner of the Tooting net. Tooting began to fight back and went close when Dontai Stewart went clear but could only hit his shot straight at the ‘keeper who’d come out well to narrow the angle. Three minutes before the break, Tooting won themselves a free kick out wide on the left, about 25 yards from goal. It was Jake Rose who took the kick, sending the ball high and curling towards the back post as it quickly dropped beyond the reach of the ‘keeper and just under the bar, and the correct side of the post from Tooting’s point of view, to bring the Terrors right back into the game. HT: TMUFC 1, Hertford Town 2


Following one enforced change up front during the first half due to injury, Tooting introduced Jamarie Brissett to the game for the second half. Tooting dominated much of the second period with most of it being played in the visitors’ half. They pretty much controlled the game in the second period but lacked the cutting edge to create any serious chances in front of goal. The only real opportunity for Tooting in the second half came about fifteen minutes from the end when Dan Williams found himself one on one with the ‘keeper after being played in. Sadly for the Terrors’ striker, despite getting his shot past the ‘keeper, he dragged it slightly, and he would’ve been as frustrated as those fans watching, to see the ball go narrowly past the wrong side of the post. FT: TMUFC 1, Hertford Town 2 Att 315

TMUFC line up; Gary Ross, Dean Hamlin, Sinn’Kaye Christie, Nathan Daly, Tom Jelley (George Ademiluyi 85), Mo Sahnoun (Jamarie Brissett 46), Daryl Coleman, Mark Waters, Jake Rose, Duncan Culley (Dan Williams 33), Dontai Stewart, Unused subs; Ahkeem Belford, James Shaw


As people will be aware from previous posts, the Club recently announced St. Matthew's Project. Brixton as one of its charity partners for the season and today we were pleased to welcome one of their trustees, James Alexander to Imperial Fields. During the half time interval today, Terrors striker, and former St Matthews player, Kelvin Adjei, presented James with over £200 on behalf of our photographer Sam, who has raising money for them throughout last season through the sale of her match photos; something she is continuing to do throughout this season too.









Saturday 12th September                              Tooting & Mitcham 2 - 2 Fisher FC - Fisher FC win  3 -1 on penalties 


Competitive football returned to Imperial Fields as the Terrors entertained Fisher in a keenly anticipated south London derby in an FA Cup Preliminary Round tie. With all 400 tickets sold prior to kick-off, an electric atmosphere was guaranteed. Unfortunately, it was the visitors who were ultimately inspired, and they prevailed after a penalty shootout that saw them through to the 1st Qualifying Round.


The home side were the first to settle, and exerted some promising early pressure. With new signing Mark Waters orchestrating things in midfield, and Abs Sahnoun making some promising inroads down the left flank, it seemed only a matter of time before the deadlock was broken. Fisher, though, were definitely ‘up’ for it, and defended stoutly and in numbers, looking to hit their hosts on the break. This tactic almost paid off; after a good break down the left, a ball whipped in found Christian Udo unmarked in the penalty area but with the goal gaping he could only place his header wide. Tooting heeded the warning, and took the lead shortly after. On the half-hour mark, Sahnoun floated a corner across, Daryl Coleman flicked on and Sinn’kaye Christie headed home.


Shortly after, the lead could have been doubled; a free-kick awarded just outside the penalty area saw Duncan Culley touch the ball to Coleman, who fired goalwards. Daniel Carpanini in the Fisher goal couldn’t keep hold of it and as the ball squirmed from his grasp, he just managed to deny the onrushing Christie his second of the afternoon. This miss was to prove costly as Fisher equalised just a minute later; a flowing move down the right ended with a ball whipped low across the area and Udo touched in at the far post to restore parity at the break.


Half-time : T&MUFC 1 Fisher 1


The Terrors started the second half with Dontai Stewart replacing Levi Phillips, and he looked lively as he headed down a Sahnoun cross for Waters, who fired just over.   On 53 minutes, the visitors thought they had taken the lead when Udo intercepted a cross-field pass and collided with Gary Ross who had advanced from his line; the ball fell invitingly to Malaki Coker, who rolled it into an empty net but the flag was already up for a foul on the keeper. As the second half progressed, Tooting looked to be running out of ideas, and Ross had to be alert to keep out an effort from Robert Brown, as the visitors grew in confidence and began to look the likelier victors.


It was a surprise, therefore, when the Terrors went back in front 11 minutes from the end, as Dontai Stewart turned and fired home from the edge of the box following good work by Jamarie Brissett on the right. The lead was once again short-lived as Jamie Yila was up-ended in the box and Josh Biddlecombe tucked away the resultant spot-kick.


As the game entered injury-time, another promising run from Jamarie Brissett was abruptly halted just outside the right-hand side of the penalty area. A free-kick was awarded in a promising position and as both teams jostled for position in the box, tempers threatened to boil over. Dean Hamlin and Sam Fitzgerald seemed to be at the heart of things, and both had to be held back by their own team-mates as a match fought out in good spirits ended on a sour note. Whatever had transpired, the referee decided the Fisher man was the aggressor and he received a yellow card for his efforts.


And so, with replays no more, the game went to penalties. Josh Biddlecombe, scorer of the penalty in the 90 minutes, stepped up to take the first and when he blasted his shot over the bar, the omens looked good. Sadly, that was to be as good as it got for Tooting; Mark Waters, so impressive during the match, was unable to take advantage as Carpanini saved down low to his right. Two penalties taken, neither converted. Christian Udo, scorer of Fisher’s first of the afternoon, stepped up for number three and almost broke the net as he blasted it past Ross to give the visitors the advantage. Jamarie Brissett made it 1-1 as he coolly placed his kick to the keeper’s left, but after Jack Gibbons had restored Fisher’s advantage by hitting almost the same spot, Dontai Stewart could not do the same and his effort cannoned back off the bar. Fisher were on the verge, and Michael Sarpong scored what proved to be the winner as he went low to Ross’ right to make it 3-1. It was all over when Daryl Coleman indulged in a spot of gamesmanship with the keeper, and then put the final penalty over the bar to send the sizeable visiting contingent into raptures.


T&MU : Ross, Ademiluyi (M. Sahnoun 64”), Hamlin, Daly, Christie, A. Sahnoun, Waters, Culley (Kelo 85”), Coleman, Phillips (Stewart HT), Brissett

SUBS NOT USED : Shaw, Belford, Adjei, Clarke

BOOKED : Daly, Coleman, Ross, Stewart