Tuesday 27th October                                                    Tooting & Micham 3 Bedfont Sports 0 


Tooting ran out comfortable winners with a good display against Bedfont Sports last night, and kept yet another clean sheet in the process, albeit they have Bedfont’s poor finishing to thank for that as much as their own defensive efforts. And once again it was Dan Williams and Jake Rose who did the damage in front of goal.

Williams opened the scoring on 24 minutes after a long range effort from Tom Jelley had been parried away by the keeper. Unfortunately it only went as far as the edge of the box, from where Williams drove the ball, left footed, into the roof of the net. The lead was doubled 14 minutes later when Jake Rose netted from the penalty box after Elijah Simpson had been upended trying weave his way through the area. HT: TMUFC 2, Bedfont Sports 0

Whilst the visitors did come into the game a little more in the second half, Tooting remained in control and rounded off the scoring on 77 minutes, when once again, Williams was the first to pounce on the aftermath of a long range effort, this time coming in from Jake Rose. FT TMUFC 3, Bedfont Sports 0 Att 331


TMUFC line up; Gary Ross, George Ademiluyi, Daryl Coleman, Ahkeem Belford, Tom Jelley, Mark Waters, Jake Rose, Levi Phillips, Dan Williams, Elijah Simpson (Kladji Cani 81), Troy Walters (Dontai Stewart 67), Unused subs; Mo Sahnoun, Sinn’Kaye Christie, Abz Sahnoun




Saturday 24th October                                               Staines Town 0 Tooting & Mitcham 4 


One of the longest-running sagas in the history of Tooting & Mitcham United was finally brought to a close at the weekend as the Terrors ran riot at Staines, and in the process achieved our first victory over them since the 2003/04 season, eight matches and six defeats ago!


The game started brightly - on the pitch at least. Off it, the rain that had greeted our arrival in Spelthorne gradually worsened, and brought with it ever darkening skies, so much so that the floodlights were utilised before barely a quarter of the game had been completed.


Both teams looked comfortable in possession early on, and it was Gary Ross who was called into action first. Staines striker Tayo Oyebola had a sight of goal from the edge of the area and Ross had to get down to push it away for a corner. Tooting’s incisive passing game was catching the eye once again and Mark Waters looked to have his eye in early as the home defenders had to be alert to cut out his searching passes through the middle. His vision enabled the returning Mo Sahnoun (in for the injured Jamarie Brissett) to scuttle away down the left, cut inside and curl a ball to the far post which sent the home keeper, 19 year old Joe Williams, flying across his goal in order to palm the effort away.


The game exploded into life in the twelfth minute; what looked an innocuous challenge by the Swans’ Tom Jewers on Waters was punished in full by referee Alistair Higgs who deemed the offence worthy of dismissal. To be fair, Waters is not the sort of player to stay down unless he is hurt, and he needed several minutes of treatment before being able to resume.


When he did so, he immediately intercepted a loose cross-field pass and engaged on a powerful surge to the edge of the box. He wasn’t able to garner sufficient power on his drive however, and this time Williams was able to hold it comfortably.


Shortly afterwards, the keeper was called into action again - this time it was Troy Walters testing him from outside the box, and Williams was once again alert to keep it out.


Just after the twenty minute mark, the deadlock was finally broken; our Williams (Daniel) made a strong burst to the byeline and put in a shot that (their) Williams could only help into the path of Walters whose shot crossed the line before the keeper was able to scoop it out. The home players protested but it was clear to those of us behind the goal that it had indeed done so, and Mr. Higgs rightly allowed the goal to stand.


For the rest of the half, the only question seemed to be how many the Terrors would be leading by when it came to the half-time break, as we created chance after chance with young Williams having to be on his toes to repel them.


Dontai Stewart hit a fierce effort from just inside the area which he just about scrambled round a post, Dontai then put (our) Williams through and (their) Williams managed to tip it over the bar. Daryl Coleman released Williams once again and a combination of keeper and defender scrambled the ball out for another corner; then right on the stroke of half-time, Coleman hit a long-range effort which almost deceived the keeper but he just managed to cling onto it.


HT : Staines T. 0-1 T&MU


The second period could not have been more different to what had gone before. Whilst Staines had been restricted to shooting from distance for most of the first 45, whatever their management team had said to them at the break certainly seemed to have an effect as they pushed us back for long periods and kept our previously under-employed defenders busy. Gary Ross, who really had had little to do since his fine early save, was called upon to show his class as he repelled a thunderbolt from Frederick Hill, and quickly rose to parry the follow up from Oyebola. Ahkeem Belford was repeating his man-of-the-match heroics of the previous week, and needed to be alert to block an effort from Che Krabbendam. George Ademiluyi, in an unfamiliar central role, was similarly impressive in making a vital interception from Luke Robinson.


On the seventy minute mark yet another Williams, the home side’s Ola, got away down the right and looped over a pinpoint cross to the advancing Oyebola. With a free header and only Ross to beat, the travelling bog-enders braced themselves for the equaliser, but although the Staines marksman connected firmly, he somehow put it past the post, and we breathed again.


We were being pinned back now, and parity didn’t look far away when substitute Elijah Simpson made it two against the run of play. The returning Terror, making his second debut for the club after a spell away at Westfield (and, briefly, Beaconsfield) powered away down the right with a defender in hot pursuit. With the angle narrowing by the second, Elijah got his shot off which skewed off the defender’s shin and spun over Williams who had no chance in the goal as the ball nestled behind him.


The second took the wind out of the Swans’ sails, and we added to their misery with two more late on. Firstly another sub, Jake Rose, was given an inordinate amount of time and space in the box by the demoralised home defence and picked his spot for 3-0, and with time almost up Dan Williams got his personal reward for a fine display by slotting number four past the unfortunate home keeper who was once again abandoned by his defence.


Staines had started the day above us in fifth, but dropped to eighth after this result; we climb back into the top three, and it is worth noting that since shipping two in the first half on the opening day against Hertford, Gary Ross and his defenders have conceded only one goal (from the penalty spot) in the four and a half matches since; that is more than six and a half hours of football, and is a tremendous achievement indeed. Well done to all concerned.


T&MU : Ross, Jelley, Hamlin, Waters, Ademiluyi, Belford, M. Sahnoun (Mezini 80), Coleman, Williams, Walters (Simpson 71), Stewart (Rose 65).

SUBS NOT USED : Phillips, A. Sahnoun.

Written by Edward Parlett



Saturday 17th October                                                   Tooting & Mitcham 2 Romford FC 0 


Tooting returned to winning ways today, adding another clean sheet to their tally and making it five consecutive games without conceding a goal from open play, as they beat Isthmian League North Division, Romford , to book a place in the Third Qualifying round of the Buildbase FA Trophy.

The first half saw two sides fairly evenly matched although it was probably the Terrors who edged it, playing most of the creative football whilst the visitors were always a threat on the break. It took a quality goal though to divide the two sides and it came from Tooting on 33 minutes. Mark Waters played a great ball from midway inside his own half to set Dan Williams free and clear down the right hand side. With the Romford defence at sixes and sevens there was only one defender in position who found himself caught in two minds as to whether to close Williams down or pick up Troy Walters who had made a great supporting run through the centre. With the defender caught in no man’s land, Williams then played a superb ball in behind him which was met by Walters on the edge of the six yard box, and steered into the back of the net with his left foot. Romford did have their chances too however and The Terrors have Dean Hamlin to thank for heading their best effort of the half off the line and away from danger.


HT: TMUFC 1, Romford 0


The Romford players had clearly had a stern talking to at the half time break and tried to take the upper hand in the second half, taking the game to the Terrors. Whilst the majority of the second half was played in Tooting’s half of the pitch, the Romford strike force were no match for the Terrors’ back line which remained solid and resolute, whilst going forward it seemed that it was Tooting who were restricted to the occasional counter attack. And it was one such break that saw them double their lead on 71 minutes. It came from a long clearance out from the back by skipper Daryl Coleman which set Dan Williams loose once again down the right hand side. His speed somehow took him past his marker who initially had seemed favourite to get the ball. However Williams got there first, leaving the defender in his wake as he cut in towards goal before slotting the ball left footed past Ashlee Jones in the Romford goal. Romford’s hopes of a late comeback were not helped either, when David Winfield received a red card five minutes from time after appearing to step on the face of Dan Williams as he lay on the ground following a hefty challenge from the Romford skipper. Whether he was dismissed for the challenge itself or catching Williams afterwards is unclear however the result was the same. FT: TMUFC 2, Romford 0 Att 400

TMUFC line up; Gary Ross, Dean Hamlin, Ahkeem Belford, Nathan Daly, Tom Jelley (Mo Sahnoun 51), Jamarie Brissett (George Ademiluyi 65), Daryl Coleman, Mark Waters, Jake Rose, Dan Williams, Troy Walters (Dontai Stewart 80), Unused subs; Ermis Mezini, Kelvin Adjei, Conor Beattie, Elijah Simpson

With both the Terrors and Bracknell Town winning today, it means that our league fixture against the Robins, originally scheduled to be played 31st October, will now need to be rearranged for a later date. We will find out on Monday who our opponents will now be on 31st when the draw for the next round of the Buildbase FA Trophy is made at lunchtime.










Saturday 10th October                                                       Tooting & Mitcham 0 Waltham Abbey 1


The gates were closed on a sell-out crowd as we entertained Waltham Abbey in an enticing top-of-the-table encounter on Saturday, but once again it was the visitors who were inspired by the occasion as we fell to our second home defeat.

With three consecutive wins after our opening day disappointment at home to Hertford Town, the Terrors started the day at the top of the pile, but the visitors were bolstered by maximum points from their opening two fixtures - and stretched that run to three after an early penalty kick proved to be the only goal of a tight encounter.

The match started in a light rain shower, which added zip to the turf and, indeed, the Terror’s early passing game. We carved out the first chance just two minutes in when Jamarie Brissett got away down the left and squared for Daniel Williams to lay the ball into the path of Mark Waters; his well-struck effort went just over but it was an encouraging start for the hosts.

The Abbotts were showing some confident moves early on also, and a dangerous raid down the right saw the lively Aron Gordon play a low cross into the box which Tom Jelley had to be alert to clear over the bar.

Two minutes later, came the breakthrough; after a melee in the area, Nathan Daly was adjudged to have brought down Jason Hallett and referee Robert Claussen pointed to the spot. Hallett got up to take the kick, and although his effort wasn’t the cleanest struck penalty you’ll ever see, it somehow found its way past the despairing dive of home ‘keeper Gary Ross to nestle in the corner and give the visitors the lead.


Tooting looked to hit back straight away and in their next attack, the ball fell kindly to Daryl Coleman in the centre of the park who hit a long-range effort just wide.

This was an open and entertaining start to the game, and it looked like it promised plenty of goals at either end; Abbey nearly extended their lead in the eighteenth minute as Nathan Koranteng twisted and turned on the edge of the box before firing in a shot which Ross did well to get down and save.

After Gordon once more fired wide when well placed, it looked like the Abbotts were taking a grip on the game, but back came Tooting again and nearly equalised on the half-hour. Jelley was released down the right flank and put over what is becoming a trademark cross into the danger zone; Waters controlled the ball well, and floated it toward the far post where Brissett was lurking with intent; he was unable to get a firm touch on the ball, though, and could only prod it harmlessly wide.


Chances continued to open up at either end, and Koranteng found himself unmarked in the area with the ball at his feet, but was unable to hit the target. Shortly afterwards, Williams toe-poked the ball through to fellow striker Dontai Stewart, but he was unable to lift the ball over the towering Simon Jorgensen in the visitor’s goal, who blocked the effort.

Half-time : T&MU 0 Waltham Abbey 1


Waltham Abbey started the second half brightly, and created a couple of early chances that might have seen them increase their advantage; firstly Kyle Fraser-Allen received the ball on the edge of the area, and floated an effort just over the bar, then the increasingly dangerous Gordon stole the ball from Waters in midfield and went on another run to the edge of the box where he played in goalscorer Hallett, who looked reluctant to shoot when well placed and Ahkeem Belford hustled him out of it.


As the half progressed, though, the visitors looked increasingly determined to hang on to what they had, and started to defend in more numbers. To that end, they replaced the attack-minded Koranteng with a defender, Kie Douglas and later withdrew their striking goalscorer Hallett for midfielder Kauadio Ehui.


It was up to the Terrors to try to break down their massed ranks, and we attempted to shake things up by replacing Stewart with Kelvin Adjei (scorer of a number of pre-season goals) and Williams with debutant Troy Walters.

Both substitutes looked lively, and Adjei got clear of the defence just past the hour mark, but could do nothing from a tight angle. Walters looked particularly encouraging in the air, outjumping several Abbey midfielders to flick balls on, but we were still struggling to make any efficient headway with the game approaching the final quarter.

On the 75 minute mark, Brissett finally freed himself from the shackles of his marker, the impressive Junior Appiah, and got away down the left flank. As the big Dane advanced from his goal, Jamarie placed the ball past him but it drifted agonisingly wide of the post.

Two minutes later, Waters shaped to cross and the ball was deflected off a defender and past the byline; there were loud cries for a penalty from the massed ranks of the Bog End, and from the players in the vicinity of the incident, but the referee disagreed and gave a corner which came to nothing.

Half-chances continued to come, and with them the hope of salvaging a point, but they continued to be squandered; Waters once again released Adjei down the left, he advanced and cut the ball back for the advancing midfielder but his firmly-struck shot was cleared off the line by Fraser-Allen. The marauding Adjei was then hacked down on the edge of the penalty area, from Jake Rose’s free-kick Coleman tried an unorthodox back-flick which Jorgensen saved easily, and with time ticking down Brissett tried a ‘hail Mary’ effort from the middle of the park which sailed high and wide, and with it went our last chance of a point.

Joint manager, Ashley Bosah, was philosophical after the game, saying “the penalty killed us, I guess, very early on. Everybody can debate about whether it was a penalty or not, we’ll look at it again on camera but from then on we’ve still got enough time to get ourselves back in the game; we had the belief and, to be fair, we tried to play the game in the manner in which we believe but that final ball, that final pass, that final shot - the quality wasn’t there so it was a bit frustrating, but we’ve just got to put that right in training.”

T&MU : Ross, Jelley, Hamlin, Waters, Daly, Belford, Brissett, Coleman, Williams (Walters 69”), Rose, Stewart (Adjei58”).

SUBS NOT USED : A. Sahnoun, Mezini, M. Sahnoun

Article written by Edward Parlett 


Tuesday 6th October                                                                                                FC Romania 0 Tooting & Mitcham 1


To say that it was an unimpressive first half performance would be a huge understatement however against a much improved FC Romania side, a last gasp winner ensured that Tooting made it four wins on the bounce, (three in the league), and three consecutive clean sheets, under the lights at Cheshunt on Wednesday evening.

The match followed a very similar pattern to Tooting’s previous midweek venture, with the home side appearing to have the majority of the possession and the Terrors having to do most of the defending. Too often possession of the ball was given away too easily trying to play the ball through midfield, and up front, Tooting looked very one dimensional. Whilst both wing backs worked hard, neither found any great success in getting beyond their markers either. Despite the efforts too of Jake Rose and Mark Waters to create opportunities for themselves from the edge of the box, the best opportunity for Tooting in the first half probably came about ten minutes before the break when a superbly struck free kick from Dontai Stewart was tipped onto his near post by ‘keeper Adrian Darabant and away to safety. Whilst FC Romania made themselves look dangerous coming forward, their accuracy in front of goal meant that Tooting ‘keeper Gary Ross was rarely seriously troubled. HT: FC Romania 0, TMUFC 0


Tooting started the second half a little more positively and slowly but surely they gradually gained the upper handed. Daryl Coleman who had been rested from the starting line up was introduced for the final twenty five minutes as Tooting’s dominance of the second period grew. Their caused was helped in the final fifteen minutes when the home side were reduced to ten men when centre back Jesse Armoo received his marching orders following his third questionable tackle in the space of less than ten minutes. Although Tooting continued to press forward it began to look like it was not going to be their night as ten minutes from time, Adrian Darabant presented Dontai Stewart with another opportunity as the ‘keeper’s poor clearance went straight to the Tooting striker on the edge of the box. Unfortunately Stewart dragged his effort which went narrowly wide of the post with Darabant stranded out wide of his goal. Finally, in the 89th minute, there was joy for Tooting as an excellent ball through the middle from Mark Waters sent Jake Rose clear and racing into the Wolves’ penalty area. There was still plenty of work for Rose to do though as he ran clear of his marker and kept his cool before delicately chipping the ball over Darabant from around 12 yards out as the ‘keeper appeared to go to ground very early. There was little time for the home side to recover from this and it was three more points in the bag for the Terrors, and despite not looking especially impressive, a third consecutive clean sheet. FT: FC Romania 0, TMUFC 1 Att 86


TMUFC line up; Gary Ross, George Ademiluyi, Ahkeem Belford, Nathan Daly, Tom Jelley (Mo Sahnoun 84), Jamarie Brissett, Ermis Mezini (Daryl Coleman 65), Mark Waters, Jake Rose, Danny Williams (Abz Sahnoun 79), Dontai Stewart, Unused subs; Dean Hamlin, John Yilmaz





Saturday 3rd October                                                               Tooting & Mitcham 1 Harlow Town 0



Tooting made it three wins on the bounce and two consecutive “clean sheets” with what was probably their best home performance of the season so far at Imperial Fields this afternoon.


Whilst the Terrors had the bulk of the possession during the first half it took them until the 42nd minute to finally make the breakthrough. It came following some good interplay which saw Tom Jelley released down the right hand side. He cut back a low testing cross just in front of the Harlow six yard box. As the ball came in, it bypassed Dontai Stewart however Dan Williams had also made a late run into the box and met the ball first time, with the inside of his left foot, rifling it into the roof of the net from about seven yards out. HT: TMUFC 1, Harlow Town 0


As the second half began Tooting continued to look the stronger side for the next thirty minutes, without being able to add to their first half strike. There were several opportunities though with Harlow ‘keeper Rob Budd making a number of decent saves from long range efforts as well as a double save midway through the half when a number of shots were rained in on him from much closer range. There was also an excellent opportunity for Dan Williams to double his, and Tooting’s, tally about ten minutes from time when was sent clear, one on one with the ‘keeper. As the Harlow stopper came out to narrow the angle, the Tooting striker curled the ball around him perfectly with his left foot, but not quite perfectly enough to steer it inside the far post, as he could only look on in frustration as the ball struck the upright before bouncing to safety. And all credit to Harlow, they started to come on strong in the final ten minutes or so, ensuring that the Tooting back line, with Dean Hamlin, Ahkeem Belford and Nathan Daly all looking solid, stayed alert to make sure that they maintained their narrow advantage. FT: TMUFC 1, Harlow Town 0 Att 295


TMUFC line up; Gary Ross, Dean Hamlin, Ahkeem Belford, Nathan Daly, Tom Jelley, Jamarie Brissett,

Daryl Coleman, Mark Waters, Jake Rose, Dan Williams (Kesna Clarke 87), Dontai Stewart (Abdelah Sahnoun 90), Unused subs; Abdel Sahnoun, Ermis Mezini, George Ademiluyi

Next up for Terrors is a midweek trip to Cheshunt when they take on FC Romania on Wednesday evening