Saturday 5th October                                                     Tooting and Mitcham 0 Poole Town 2 ( FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round)

Tooting’s unbeaten start to the season finally came to an end at the Campus Society Stadium this afternoon as the Terrors were put out of this season’s Emirates FA Cup by Southern League Premier South Division leaders, Poole Town. Tooting’s players will probably be the first to admit that today was probably their least effective performance of the season so far, albeit that should also be put into the context of the quality of the opposition who were physically strong and well organised, even when they were reduced to ten men after just 35 minutes.

The game started brightly for Tooting who certainly had plenty of possession in the opening ten minutes with some early half chances but none that forced ‘keeper Luke Cairney into making a save. Then on 13 minutes, somewhat against the run of play at the time, Poole broke forward and some great play between Corby Moore and Luke Holmes set up Marvin Brooks for a simple finish from just 6 yards out. Two minutes later, the visitors almost doubled their lead when Will Spetch smashed a free kick off the corner of the crossbar and post. In terms of possession, the sides were now fairly evenly matched and despite Tooting’s efforts in looking to release players wide down both flanks they were unable to create much in terms of scoring opportunities. On 35 minutes though, things looked as if they might be turning slightly in the Terrors' favour as Poole Town were reduced to ten men when Luke Holmes received a straight red card for a hefty (too hefty in the referee’s opinion) challenge on Razzaq Coleman. Despite the numerical advantage though, Tooting were unable to capitalize and there was no addition to the scoreline before the referee blew for half time. HT: TMUFC 0, Poole Town 1


A couple of half time substitutions for the Terrors saw, Daryl Coleman replaced by Isaac Sarpong and Danny Bassett drop into the right wing back position as George Ademiluyi was replaced by Omari Hibbert. There was an early half chance for Hibbert just nine minutes into the second half however he didn’t catch the ball cleanly and ‘keeper Luke Cairney wasn’t troubled by his effort from six yards out. Just before the hour mark there was another chance for the Terrors, this time, Cairney saving well after Didi Castanho had made room for himself to shoot 8 yards out from goal. Tooting continued to pressurize the visitor’s goal throughout the second half but were unable to find the decisive move to break down the Poole Town defence. Six minutes from the end though, the tie was wrapped up after substitute Oliver Dennett got on the end of a free kick move to score, unmarked from close range. Despite Tooting’s best efforts in the remaining minutes they were unable to break down the well organised Poole Town defence, leaving the visitors to deservedly progress into the next round. FT: TMUFC 0, Poole Town 2, Att 434


TMUFC line up; James Shaw, George Ademiluyi (Omari Delgado Hibbert 46), Razzaq Coleman, Dean Hamlin, Sol Patterson-bohner, Nathan Daly, Daryl Coleman (Isaac Sarpong 46), Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, David Castanho, Danny BassettHady Ghandour (Nebay Haile 71), Unused subs; Ahkeem Belford, Morgan Campbell, Junior Timite, Dontai Stewart

Thank you as always to our matchday volunteers as well as all of our supporters and sponsors. In particular today, thank you to our Match Sponsor, Campus Society, our Match Ball Sponsor, London Saints and our The Ramble Inn Man of the Match sponsor, Sean Newsom who selected Dominic Morgan-Griffiths as his choice to receive this week's bottle of bubbly.

Saturday 12th October  2019                                                                      Whyteleafe 1 Tooting and Mitcham 3

Tooting got back to winning ways this afternoon as they progressed to the First Qualifying round of the Buildbase FA Trophy in a battling performance against near neighbours Whyteleafe, in what for the majority of the game was a fairly evenly balanced contest.

Tooting started brightly however it was probably against the run of play at that time when they took the lead on 30 minutes through wing back Jamarie Brissett, making only his second senior start, who broke forward down the right hand side before cutting into the penalty area and firing a fierce shot that went through the legs of ‘keeper Tyler McCarthy. For the final quarter of an hour or so of the first half, James Shaw in the Tooting goal was probably the busier of the two ‘keepers however with play fairly evenly balanced there was no addition to the scoreline before the break. HT: Whyteleafe 0, TMUFC 1


If Tooting thought they’d the game won, then they were very much mistaken as the early stages of the second period were played mostly inside their half, with the Terrors restricted to a couple free kicks from the edge of the box and the occasional break forward as they tried to release players down the wide channels. Whyteleafe deservedly drew level after 65 minutes when Ronald Sobobwale made room for himself on the edge of the box before letting fire with a low right footed effort, across the angle of the goal, beating James Shaw before nestling into the far corner of the net. However as both teams went in search of the win in the closing stages of the game it was Tooting who seemed to have been the more decisive when four minutes from the end of the ninety, a long ball from Danny Bassett from inside the centre circle found substitute Junior Timite out wide on the left. He took on his man, beat him and pulled the ball back for Bassett (pictured) who had continued his run, seven yards out from goal. The Tooting striker took the ball with his back to goal before turning and firing home left footed into the bottom comer. But there was still more drama to come as deep into stoppage time Whyteleafe won a corner out on Tooting’s right. As ‘keeper Tyler McCarthy made his way into the Terrors’ penalty box the ball was swung in and mayhem followed as first the ball struck a post before the rebound was struck against the crossbar from point blank range and the danger finally over with a goal line clearance. Suddenly the ball broke forward with Razzaq Coleman and Danny Bassett in hot pursuit in a two against one situation. Razzaq Coleman’s strength won the day as he beat the defender to play the ball on to Danny Bassett, who, with McCarthy still stranded down the other end, had the simple task of walking the ball into the empty net. FT: Whyteleafe 1, TMUFC 3, Att 174


TMUFC line up; James Shaw, Jamarie Brissett, Razzaq Coleman, Dean Hamlin, Sol Patterson-bohner, Nathan Daly, Daryl Coleman, Kadeem Ajeon (Ahkeem Belford 80), David Castanho (Hady Ghandour 70), Danny Bassett (Junior Timite 70) Nebay Haile, Unused subs; Alex Filipe, Morgan Campbell, Isaac Sarpong

Tuesday 1​5th October                                                          Tooting and Mitcham 1 Frimley Town 2 ( Surrey County Cup) 

Tooting suffered only their second defeat of the season last night and it came from a surprising source as they were put out the Surrey Senior Cup, a competition in which they made it all the way to the final last season, at the Preliminary Round stage by Combined Counties League side, Frimley Green.


Despite making eight changes from Saturday's starting line up, Tooting took the lead on 36 minutes through Shamal Edwards (pictured); a lead that they took into the half time break. However despite numerous chances, The Terrors were unable to add to their tally, as Frimley Green, who never gave up, grabbed two goals in the final five minutes through Dan Bone and Nathan Thomas to snatch victory and a place in the next round.


Tooting must now quickly focus their attention back to winning league points as they prepare to travel to Cheshunt on Saturday to take on FC Romania in an Isthmian League South Central Division game.

TMUFC line up; James Shaw, George Ademiluyi, Ajani Domingo-Carrington, Antonio Simeone, Ahkeem Belford, Alex Filipe, Kadeem Ajeon, Isaac Sarpong (Diadier Camara 65), David Castanho (Danny Bassett 69), Hady Ghandour, Shamal Edwards (Enea Zoyka 78), Unused subs; Shkelqim Sadiku, Serg Zamara.

Saturday 19th October                                                          FC Romania 1 Tooting and Mitcham 1 ( League)

Tooting kept hold of their unbeaten start to the league season at Theobolds Lane this afternoon, but only just, after a less than inspiring performance, particularly in front of goal, against FC Romania who had little to offer by way of threat other than their spirit and determination.


It was a scrappy start to the first half although Tooting probably had the better of the early exchanges. There was plenty of attacking play from the Terrors down both flanks with Jamarie Brissett and Danny Bassett causing The Wolves’ defence problems down the right hand side whilst Razzaq Coleman and Nebay Haile did similarly down the left. Too often however the final ball was not good enough and promising positions came to nothing. There were a few half chances in the first half for Tooting but the efforts were wide of the target. The best opportunity of the period came just after the midway point when Danny Bassett was clear through on the ‘keeper after latching on to an under played header from a defender. As he closed in on goal he looked to knock the ball past the ‘keeper however Adrian Darabant was quickly off his line to block the effort and the chance was gone. HT: FC Romania 0, TMUFC 0

If the first half was scrappy then the second half was even more so as for much of it, Tooting struggled to string more than two or three passes together but even so, they defended well and didn’t really look like conceding. That all changed though in the 80th minute when the home side won a free kick in a central position just outside the Terrors’ penalty area. It was taken by Adrian Hurdubei who stepped up and curled it beautifully to James Shaw’s’ left, beyond his reach and into the top corner of the goal. Tooting were quickly back on the attack though as they looked to salvage something from the game. Their opportunity came five minutes from the end when they won a free kick on the edge of box, just left of centre. The Tooting supporters looked on expectantly as Daryl Coleman lined the ball up from a position where he’s curled the ball up and over the wall a number of times in the past. Instead though, on this occasion, he stepped over the ball, allowing substitute Dontai Stewart to strike it low, past the right edge of the wall and just inside the post to bring The Terrors back on level terms. Tooting continued to press in the final five minutes, despite having Nathan Daly dismissed in the closing moments for a second yellow card, but to no avail. The single point earned though was enough to send Tooting to the top of the table, for the time being at least. FT: FC Romania 1, TMUFC 1 att 65


TMUFC line up; James Shaw, Dean Hamlin, Sol Patterson-bohner, Nathan Daly, Jamarie Brissett, Razzaq ColemanDaryl Coleman, Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, Danny BassettHady Ghandour (Dontai Stewart 73), Nebay Haile (David Castanho 61), Unused subs; Alex Filipe, Ahkeem Belford, Kadeem Ajeon

Saturday 26th October                                                          Sittingbourne 0 Tooting and Mitcham 1 (FA Trophy) 

Despite a number of enforced changes brought about by suspension and injury, Tooting edged into the Second Qualifying Round of this season’s Buildbase FA Trophy this afternoon with a narrow victory over Isthmian South East Division side, Sittingbourne.

The Terrors started the match brightly and in terms of territorial advantage, were the dominant side for most of the first period. However despite most of the game being played in the home team’s half, Tooting were unable to find the incisive move to breakdown a Sittingbourne backline that defended resolutely and effectively, and for most of the time appeared able to comfortably contain the Tooting strike force. With the defences on top, the teams went into the break with a goalless stalemate. HT: Sittingbourne 0, TMUFC 0


The first half of the second period was a much more evenly contested affair with The Brickies looking to press their home advantage and offered a far greater threat than they had done in the opening 45 minutes. However some substitutions by the Terrors’ Management Team midway through the half, one enforced and two tactical, saw Tooting up their game once again as they made a bid to win the tie at the first time of asking. The goal finally came in the 75th minute when Razzaq Coleman got the ball on the left hand side of the penalty area, beat his man and shot across the face of goal, the ball beating ‘keeper Jordan Perrin, before hitting the back of the net just inside the far post. Tooting continued to press after they’d taken the lead in an effort to kill off the game however it was the hosts who came closest, having what they believed to be an equalising goal ruled out for offside in the final minutes of the game. The Terrors survived the scare though and are now safely through to the next round. Whilst it wasn’t a “pretty” game to watch, it was a big improvement on the disappointing displays of the previous 7 days and credit must go to all concerned, especially the youngsters who came into the side today and stepped up to the plate. FT: Sittingbourne 0, TMUFC 1 Att 180


TMUFC line up; James Shaw, Jamarie Brissett (Connor French 61), Razzaq Coleman, Dean Hamlin, Daryl Coleman (George Ademiluyi 55), Ahkeem Belford, Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, Diadier Camara, David Castanho (Dontai Stewart 71), Danny BassettHady Ghandour, Unused subs; Kyrique Garvey-Williams, Nebay Haile, Morgan Campbell, Alex Filipe


As some supporters will be aware, Sittingbourne were running a raffle today to help raise funds in support of one of their young U23 players, Charlie Taylor, who is currently battling cancer for a second time. As part of the fund raising there was also a joint team photo taken today that the Terrors took part in, with the home team wearing t-shirts bearing Charlie’s name; the idea being that they will be selling copies as part of the fund raising effort. We have been asked by Jace Parkes on behalf of Sittingbourne F.C. to thank all players and supporters who took part and supported their efforts today. Everyone at TMUFC extends their very best wishes to Charlie in his ongoing battle against this terrible disease and wish our hosts today the very best of luck for the remainder of the season.