top of page


Tuesday 1st November - T&MU 1-4 Chertsey Town

Surrey Senior Cup 1st Round


High scoring visitors Chertsey lived up to their pre-match billing as an exciting attacking team, to relieve us of our last remaining interest in a knockout competition this season.


With the visitors fielding a near-full strength side, and ourselves making eight changes from the starting XI which had finally registered our first home league win three days earlier, it always looked a tall order as a ferocious downpour, accompanied by thunder and lightning, lashed Imperial Fields to provide an atmospheric backdrop, if nothing else.


We started brightly enough, with Harvey Browne looking lively in a wing-back role, and his early ball into the six yard box was taken cleanly(ish) by experienced keeper Nicholas Jupp, as Kareem Akinnibi hovered, hoping to pounce on any loose ball.


But once the visitors had settled, they rattled in two goals in three minutes to effectively put the tie to bed before a quarter of the game had elapsed; Kai Hamilton Olise was the beneficiary of some slack defending on both occasions. First, he took advantage of some loose marking to drive a cross-shot home from the right-hand side of the box, and then almost immediately after Chertsey had seized possession from the re-start, he broke clear onto a long ball over the top to slot in his second shortly afterward.


The Terrors looked beleaguered at this point, and another cross from the right swerved on the wind forcing Jet Harris to punch clear to deny the Curfews a third. 


Cory Walters-Wright scrambled a lofted corner kick off the goal-line as the pressure continued, before we finally managed to trouble Jupp with Kareem bursting through, and squeezing a shot in from a tight angle which the keeper dealt with well.


But a Bryan Taylor penalty just before the break rubbed salt into our first half wounds, and although there was a marked improvement after the break with a triple substitution, Baye Ndiaye's first goal for the club - when he took advantage of defensive hesitancy to place his kick nicely wide of the advancing Jupp - was the only consolation.


Despite some more pressure and a couple of half-chances from the hosts, it was Chertsey who wrapped things up with a fourth from Morgan Cooper twenty minutes from the end.


T&MU : Harris, Edwards, Browne (sub : Jallow HT), Walters-Wright, Filipe, Dauda (sub : Kirlew-Wright HT), Chang, Ndiaye (sub : Moco 60"), Akinnibi, Dahdouh (sub : Clarke HT), Ceesay.

Sub not used : Krokhin

Attendance : 41


Report : Ed Parlett

Saturday 5th November - Walton & Hersham 2-1 T&MU


A barnstorming encounter saw Tooting go toe-to-toe with their high-flying opponents, and deliver their most complete performance of the season so far - yet we still came away from the Elmbridge Sports Hub with nothing to show for our considerable efforts, completing a frustrating afternoon.


We took the game to our hosts early on, and Jordan Clarke looked in the mood as he raced clear in the fifth minute; shaping to shoot, he curled his effort toward the far post but saw it drag agonisingly wide.


Undeterred, he launched a similar move shortly after and this time Raees Bangura-Williams read the play and moved with him, enabling Jordan to take the wing-back out of the play and square for the unmarked Raees to net his second goal in a week sending the considerable travelling support into ecstasy.


The Terrors continued to go forward with a purpose, and Raees broke again down the left flank which was bringing us so much encouragement thus far; Tayo Oyebola was haring forward in the centre, but when the ball was passed, his momentum wasn't quite right and his mis-hit shot grazed the outside of the post on its way wide. Tooting were pressing well, and showing the concentration and discipline needed at the back.


However, the home attack finally (and dubiously?) judged a through ball just right, and the flag stayed down as two players beat the offside trap to bear down on James Shaw; John Gilbert drew the keeper, then squared for Eddie Simon to tap in and the Swans were back on terms.


It was the Terrors who continued to impress though, and looked the most likely from an attacking point of view; we almost went back in front when a free-kick was floated across the box by Clarke, and Cory Walters-Wright - impressing in a new midfield role - clipped the post with a volley. Then Tayo was away again as half-time approached, latching onto a lovely ball out of defence but - once again - couldn't quite get his bearings right and put the shot wide with only the keeper to beat.


As the second half progressed, Tooting continued to look the more likely to bank maximum points; Harvey Browne shot into the side netting after a fine run, and Shamal Edwards forced Liam Allen into a good save at his near post as the hosts looked stretched.


But as the game entered stoppage-time, Edd Mbango was harshly penalised merely for standing his ground as a home midfielder climbed all over him, and the resultant free-kick was flighted over to the far side of the box where Swans debutant Mitchel Gough hooked in a shot to break Tooting hearts at the death, and leave us wondering just what we have to do to glean some rewards from our considerable efforts.


T&MU : Shaw, Edwards, Browne, Krokhin, Filipe, Daly, Chang, Walters-Wright, Oyebola (sub : Ceesay 71"), Bangura-Williams (sub : Bangura-Williams 55"), Clarke.

Subs not used : Jallow, Kirklees-Wright, Akinnibi.

Attendance : 337


Report : Ed Parlett

Saturday 19th November - Basingstoke Town 4-2 T&MU


Once again, the Terrors battled hard, but some sloppy defensive play aligned with questionable decision making from the officials led to another fruitless afternoon on the road. 


The hosts were quick out of the blocks, and James Shaw had already made one eye-catching save when he was beaten by Brodie Peart's fourteenth minute strike from the edge of the box after Shamal Edwards had failed to cut out a low ball in.


Tooting came roaring back, and were level ten minutes later when some sparkling wing play from Enoch Ako-Adjei was topped off by a pinpoint cross from which Edd Mbango athletically volleyed home.


Shaw did well to get down low to his left and keep out a goal bound effort from Stefan Brown but our joy was short-lived as Shamal's underhit back-pass left his keeper exposed allowing Peary to slip home his second on the half-hour.


Shamal seemingly atoned for his earlier errors when he exchanged passes with Jordan Clarke and fired home a beautiful 'goal' from a tight angle on the stroke of half-time, but the Assistant Referee had raised his flag and the effort was disallowed. It seemed harsh, as Shamal had been watching the line carefully, and looked like he had timed his run to perfection; but this is the sort of decision that goes against you when you are struggling for results.


Early in the second half, Tayo Oyebola combined well with Raees Bangura-Williams, only to see home keeper Mark Scott tip his effort over, but disbelief was in evidence again shortly afterward when Edd Mbango's lovely headed 'goal' following a flowing move was, once again, disallowed for the thinnest of offside decisions - one wonders when (if?) we will get the benefit of the doubt on one of these this season.


Despite heavy pressure from the Terrors, it looked all over when Bradley Wilson restored the hosts' two goal advantage six minutes from time, touching in a right-wing cross.


We had already been denied one penalty shout, when Enoch had been questionably dragged down in the box in the first half, and felt we had good claims for another as returning sub Andrew Sesay was pushed over but the referee disagreed and awarded a free-kick right on the edge of the area instead. It made no difference to Jordan Clarke, who fired home his third goal of the season to set up a tense final few minutes.


As we piled forward, Basingstoke broke up an attack and countered with purpose; Bradley Wilson bore down on goal and Shaw up-ended him for an obvious spot-kick. Wilson tucked it away to seal the points with almost the last kick of the match.


T&MU : Shaw, Edwards, Ako-Adjei (sub : Browne 88"), Krokhin, Filipe, Daly, Bangura-Williams, Walters-Wright, Mbango, Oyebola (sub : Sesay 63"), Clarke.

Subs not used : Chang, Kirklees-Wright, Jallow.

Attendance : 620


Report : Ed Parlett

Tuesday 22nd November - Binfield 4-1 T&MU


High scoring Binfield blitzed their visitors with a four goal first-half onslaught that left them in tatters. Despite a better second period, Tooting were unable to muster more than a consolation goal.


It was a classy display from the Moles - especially winger Johnny Efedje who put himself top of the goalscoring charts with his seventh and eighth of the season.


The first came after just fifteen minutes as Efedje's quick reactions meant he was able to poke home Brandon Curtis' cut back after after some wing play from Taylor Morgan down the left.


Ten minutes from half-time, a Liam Tack corner was played to the edge of the six-yard box which put the ball on a plate for Efedje again who rise highest to head home and spark a burst of three goals in seven minutes.


Two minutes later, captain Liam Gavin reacted quickest to a port defensive clearance and smashed the ball past the outstretched hand of James Shaw.


Massive Giametti completed the scoring for the home side, when he superbly met Efedje's corner to strike home number four and put Binfield firmly into the driving seat going into the break.


Whatever was said in the Tooting dressing room at half-time had some kind of positive effect, and the introduction of Andrew Sesay and a re-shaping of the formation at least enabled the Terrors to salvage a bit of pride in the time that remained.


Just eleven minutes had elapsed when Edd Mbango drove home from Sesay's pass to reduce the deficit, and with over half an hour to go it seemed there might be time to at least make a further dent on the scoreline and perhaps make something of a fight of it.


However, the Moles managed the game superbly and never looked likely to lose their grip despite allowing the visitors to come to them a little bit more. At least there were no further goals against as Binfield eased to the points.


T&MU : Shaw, Jallow (sub : Sesay HT), Ako-Adjei, Krokhin, Filipe, Daly, Bangura-Williams (sub : Kirlew-Wright 89"), Walters-Wright, Mbango, Edwards, Rose (sub : Caulton 85").

Subs not used : Oyebola, Harris (GK).

Attendance : 112


Report : Jack Craske (thanks to Binfield FC).


Saturday 26th November - T&MU 2-2 Uxbridge


Spirits may have been dampened by recent demoralising results, but this turned into a surprisingly entertaining encounter to enliven a gloomy, overcast afternoon in south London.

Showing commendable spirit following a midweek capitulation in the Berkshire countryside against Binfield, the Terrors came from behind twice to salvage a point, and showed a determination and heart that has been lacking recently to give us renewed hope moving into the busy festive period.

Both sides took a cagey approach early on, like a couple of experience boxers sparring for an opening. It was Tooting who engineered one first, when Harvey Browne was cut down as he looked to break through the centre. Jordan Clarke took the free-kick and visiting keeper Tyler Tobin tipped it over the bar.

The Terrors kept up the pressure, and Nikolai Krokhin headed over from from the subsequent corner. Andrew Sesay, on his first start in his second spell at Imperial Fields, then got away and lifted the ball back to Shamal Edwards on the edge of the box, but his mis-hit shot failed to garner the power to trouble Tobin.

The play was evenly balanced, but it was Uxbridge who broke the deadlock when a corner was headed against the bar and Luke Paris reacted quickest to stab the loose ball home, just past the half-hour mark.

Tooting showed fortitude to keep their headers up, and got their reward just before the break when Jordan Clarke teased his marker and fired a low ball across the penalty area; Harvey Browne tried to direct an effort goalwards, but couldn't get any power or direction on his effort, however his skewed ball turned into an unintended excellent pass to Edd Mbango who kept a calm head to slot the ball past Tobin for his third goal in his last three games.

Uxbridge went back in front early in the second period when Victor Osobu, looking suspiciously offside, tapped in at the far post following a flowing move but once again the Terrors came roaring back; Sesay seized onto a poor defensive pass and drove toward the edge of the box, then lofted the ball nicely into the path of the onrushing Mbango. It wasn't an easy ball to control, but Edd managed to do so before firing emphatically past Tobin for his second of the afternoon.

The game flowed beautifully thereafter, with neither side willing to settle for a point - and both having chances to take all three. But as the game moved into stoppage-time, a looping cross to the far post saw ex-Terror Daniel Williams advancing menacingly for Uxbridge; he seemed certain to score, yet James Shaw managed to get across his goal and fling himself down to deny his former team-mate right at the death, and ensure we took something from a tough afternoon.

T&MU : Shaw, Edwards (sub : Ako-Adjei 59"), Browne, Travers, Krokhin, Daly, Bangura-Williams, Walters-Wright, Mbango (sub : Oyebola 89"), Sesay, Clarke (sub : Rose 68").

Subs not used : Kirlew-Wright, Moco.

Attendance : 177

Report : Ed Parlett


Anchor 1
Anchor 2
Anchor 3
Anchor 4
bottom of page