Saturday 2nd November 2019                                                                                              Tooting and Mitcham 2 Barking FC 1 

Whilst the wind and rain today made for far than ideal conditions for football, Tooting ground out a narrow win over Barking to remain unbeaten in the league this season and stay within touching distance of the top of the table despite playing only one league game throughout the whole of last month.

Tooting started the game the front foot and immediately put Barking under pressure, attacking them down both flanks as well as through the middle. The Terrors won themselves numerous corners in the first half hour but failed to find the decisive strike in front of goal. In fact it was the visitors who came close to opening the scoring just after the half hour mark when ‘keeper James Shaw was forced to go down sharply to his right to keep out an effort from Junior Dadson. The best the Tooting man could do though was push the ball onto the inside of the post as everyone watched while the ball the bounced back across the face of the goal line before being cleared to safety.

Tooting’s territorial dominance finally paid off though in the 39th minute when Didi Castanho (pictured) pounced on a rebound after a Danny Bassett effort from the edge of the penalty area had been saved. The Terrors’ attacking midfield player was quickest to react and struck the ball first time with his left foot, past ‘keeper Montel Joseph to put Tooting one up. Their joy was short lived however as just five minutes later the visitors were on level terms when Daniel Flemming’s header from a free kick beat James Shaw in the Terrors’ goal, going in off the underside of the crossbar. HT: TMUFC 1, Barking 1


The Terrors had a bit more defending to do in the second period than they did in the first however the balance of play was still in their favour. They went back in front in the 54th minute as Dominic Morgan-Griffiths was able to get an inch perfect pass away moments before being scythed down, to set Danny Bassett free down the left hand side. As Bassett (also pictured) closed in on goal, he took his shot early from just inside the penalty area, curling a beautiful right footed effort, past Montel Joseph and into the corner of the goal. Tooting continued to put the visitors goal under pressure with Danny Bassett and Connor French both causing problems inside the penalty and both having reasonable claims for penalties turned aside. Barking never gave up the fight though and Tooting’s backline still needed to keep their wits about them with former Terror Mike Dixon continually looking a danger. Their task was made that much harder though about twenty minutes from the end when defender Sam Owusu was dismissed for a very hefty tackle on Tooting substitute Hady Ghandour who’d replaced Didi Castanho just before the hour mark. There was also a needless yellow card for Nathan Daly in the aftermath of the same incident which at one point saw all 22 players coming together for what in the end was no more than “handbags”. Fortunately things were quickly calmed down and the game finished without further incident – or score. FT: TMUFC 2, Barking 1 Att 201


TMUFC line up; James Shaw, Dean Hamlin, Sol Patterson-Bohner, Nathan Daly, Abdelah Sahnoun (Dontai Stewart 81), Razzaq Coleman, Diadier Camara (Ahkeem Belford 65), Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, David Castanho (Hady Ghandour 58), Danny BassettConnor French, Unused subs; George Ademiluyi, Alex Filipe

Tuesday 5th November 2019                                                                                         Tooting and Mitcham 1 Chertsey Town 3


Tooting missed out on the chance to go top of Group 10 in the Velocity Trophy last night, crashing to a 1-3 home defeat against Chertsey Town in what was only their third loss of the season.

Lax defending and inability to find the target in front of goal in the first half meant that The Terrors went in at half time 0-2 down after conceding twice in four minutes just before the break. This, after failing to convert two or three decent half chances themselves in the opening half hour.


Tooting started the second half a little more positively and had a great opportunity when Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, latched onto a long through ball however his shot from the edge of the penalty area was comfortably taken in by the ‘keeper. They started to ring the changes just after the hour mark with a series of substitutions and immediately looked revitalised going forward. They deservedly pulled a goal back on 76 minutes when Danny Bassett broke clear after a nice interchange of passes and calmly slotted the ball past the advancing ‘keeper as he closed in on goal. For the first time in the game, Tooting were now looking the better team however their hopes of drawing level were dashed 8 minutes from time, when James Shaw was beaten by a glorious chip from Lubo Guentchev from just outside the right hand side of the penalty area. FT: TMUFC 1, Chertsey Town 3, Att 72

TMUFC line up; James Shaw, George Ademiluyi, Nathan Daly, Antonio Simeone (Shkelqim Sadiku 83), Abdelah Sahnoun, Alex Filipe (Razzaq Coleman 65), Ahkeem Belford (Danny Bassett 65), Kadeem Ajeon, Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, Hady Ghandour (David Castanho 74), Dontai Stewart (Junior Timite 74)


Last night’s results mean that it's still possible that Tooting could top Group 10 with victory over Whytleleafe in their final game of the qualifiers on 26 November. The fate of the group though, for now at least, currently sits with Whyteleafe, who could sew things up the week before with a ninety minute victory against Chertsey Town. Any other outcome however means that the Terrors could still leap from 5th to 1st place with victory over Whyteleafe, albeit it may require a victory by a margin of at least two or three goals to see them achieve that on goal difference. Things should be a lot clearer though in a fortnight’s time! Current positions are as follows based on 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, plus 1 bonus point for the penalty shoot out win in drawn games;


Chipstead P4 W1 D2 L1 PenWins1 F7 A7 Pts 6 Diff 0
Whyteleafe P2 W1 D1 L0 PenWins1 F3 A2 Pts 5 Diff +1
South Park P4 W1 D1 L2 PenWins1 F7 A8 Pts 5 Diff -1
Chertsey Town P3 W1 D1 L1 PenWins0 F7 A6 Pts 4 Diff +1
TMUFC P3 W1 D1 L1 PenWins0 F4 A5 Pts 4 Diff -1

Saturday 9th November                                                                                                     Margate FC 0 Tooting and Mitcham 4 

Tooting followed up a solid first half performance with a decisive display in the second forty five minutes to stun their Isthmian Premier League hosts and come away from Hartsdown Road this afternoon with a convincing victory and a place in the draw for the 3rd Qualifying Round of this season’s Buildbase FA Trophy.


The opening half hour of the game was fairly evenly balanced albeit more of it was probably played inside the Tooting half of the field than Margate’s. The Terror’s still looked to get into the game as and when they could and the longer they looked and remained solid at the back, the more confident they grew. Margate did have the ball in the back of the net on 30 minutes however the close range effort was ruled out for offside. Overall though it was Tooting who finished the half the stronger, with Danny Bassett, Razzaq Coleman and Connor French all going close in a four minute spell just before Margate’s disallowed effort. It was Danny Bassett who finally made the breakthrough in the 40th minute though, when the Margate defence appeared somewhat surprised as the Tooting striker hit a low, accurate rather than powerful, shot from 30 yards out that went all the way along the ground before nestling into the bottom corner of the net. HT: Margate 0, TMUFC 1


Tooting got off to the best possible start in the second half with the first attack of the period on 47 minutes. Danny Bassett streaked down the right hand side before pulling the ball across the face of the six yard box where Didi Castanho was on hand to slide the ball home and double the Terrors’ lead. Danny Bassett came close to scoring a third for Tooting on 54 minutes however his first time volley across the angle of the goal from outside the box flew just wide of the far post. Remarkably though, Tooting did score a third on 65 minutes and it came after Margate, pushing to get themselves back into the game, won a corner. However it was well defended by Tooting before Abdelah Sahnoun sent a clearance long and high where it found Didi Castanho breaking just beyond the half way line. With most of the Margate defence still in a forward position following the corner, Castanho quickly raced into the penalty area before taking the ball across the ‘keeper and slamming it into the goal from six yards out. And there was more to come. Four minutes from the end, substitute Dontai Stewart sent a high looping cross over the six yard box from wide out on the right, from where the ball found Razzaq Coleman who struck it home with a first time volley, coming in from the far post at a tight angle. FT: Margate 0, TMUFC 4 Att 312


TMUFC lineup; James Shaw, Dean Hamlin, Sol Patterson-bohner, Nathan Daly, Abdelah Sahnoun (Junior Timite 83), Razzaq Coleman, Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, Ahkeem Belford, David Castanho (Dontai Stewart 74), Danny Bassett, Connor French (Hady Ghandour 77), Unused subs; George Ademiluyi, Kadeem Ajeon, Kyrique Garvey-Williams, Alex Filipe

Saturday 16th November 2019                                                                                                  Tooting & Mitcham 0 Hanwell Town 1  

Hanwell Town remain the only unbeaten team in the Isthmian League South Central Division after a narrow but deserved victory against the Terrors at the Campus Society Stadium this afternoon.


The first half was a fairly scrappy affair however it was the visitors who got the early break when Tooting gave away a cheap penalty in just the 4th minute, which former Terror, Gareth Chendlik, duly despatched from the spot. There were only really two opportunities created by Tooting during the opening forty five minutes and both fell the way of Danny Bassett. The first came on 32 minutes with a headed effort on the edge of the six yard box after Abdelah Sahnoun had put the ball across from the right however there was no real power in it and it was safely gathered by the 'keeper. The second came in the final minute of the half after a free kick for the Terrors was played across the face of goal. Bassett closed in on it as it came over but from 7 yards out he was only able to get his foot underneath the ball and spooned it over the crossbar. HT: TMUFC 0, Hanwell Town 1


ooting looked a lot stronger and more mobile going forward in the second half with the introduction at the break of Hady Ghandour, which saw Danny Bassett drop back into the wingback position. However Hanwell defended solidly and the closest Tooting came to a goal though was on 66 minutes when a Razzaq Coleman effort was parried away by ‘keeper, Hugo Sobte, with both Connor French and Hady Ghandour closing in on the loose ball which somehow agonisingly evaded their outstretched feet. Ten minutes later Tooting thought they may have had claims for a penalty when Hady Ghandour broke clear and appeared to be taken down by a defender however nothing was given. Ten minutes from the end Hanwell could’ve doubled their lead when an effort from distance struck the post before bouncing across goal and away to safety. Tooting’s final chance to grab a share of the points came in the stoppage time when Razzaq Coleman dispossessed a defender on the edge of the box but blasted his hurried right footed effort wide of goal. FT: TMUFC 0, Hanwell Town 1 Att 336


TMUFC line up; James Shaw, Dean Hamlin, Sol Patterson-bohner, Nathan Daly, Abdelah Sahnoun (Hady Ghandour 46), Razzaq Coleman, Ahkeem Belford (Kadeem Ajeon 69), Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, David Castanho (Junior Timite 78), Danny Bassett, Connor French, Unused subs; George Ademiluyi, Antonio Simeone

Tuesday 19th November 2019                                                                                                 Tooting & Mitcham 1 Staines Town 2 

Tooting crashed to their second home league defeat in the space four days last night as a resurgent Staines Town came away from the Campus Society Stadium with all three points.


There was certainly no sign of what was to come as the Terrors, looking to make up for Saturday’s defeat to Hanwell Town, got off to the best possible start. Tooting came close to opening the scoring just three minutes into the game. Danny Bassett latched on to a poor defensive header, intended for the goalkeeper, but unfortunately blasted his effort over the bar from around 14 yards out. However a minute later he made amends, after receiving a neat ball into him inside the box from Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, he then took everyone by surprise, playing an exquisite back-heel into the path of Didi Castanho, who steered the ball home neatly, left footed, to give the Terrors the early lead they were looking. Tooting continued to dominate for the next five minutes or so however were unable to add to the early goal. With Tooting unable to press home their early advantage, The Swans slowly grew in confidence and drew level on 37 minutes with a tremendous strike from Ashley Lodge which rifled into the back of the net from 18 yards out. HT: TMUFC1, Staines Town 1


In the second half Tooting never really got into their stride and it was the visitors who first came closest to going in front on 58 minutes when one of their players was left unmarked from a corner but fortunately for The Terrors, his unchallenged header from six yards out went wide of the mark. However three minutes later they did take the lead when Ashley Lodge scored his second of the game, turning in an Artif Hattabi cross from close range. Despite piling on the pressure in the final five minutes in search of an equaliser, Tooting were never able to seriously threaten Staines’ ‘keeper Jacob Adams, the closest they came, being a header from Shamal Edwards that went comfortably over the bar. FT: TMUFC 1, Staines Town 2, Att 181


TMUFC line up; James Shaw, Dean Hamlin, Antonio Simeone (Kadeem Ajeon 59), Nathan Daly, Shamal Edwards, Razzaq Coleman, Ahkeem Belford, Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, David Castanho (Junior Timite 74), Connor French, Danny Bassett (Hady Ghandour 65), Unused subs; George Ademiluyi, Sol Patterson-Bohner

Saturday 23rd November                                                                                                         Carshalton Athletic 2 Tooting & Mitcham 1                                    

A lax 11 minute spell at the start of the second half cost Tooting today’s Buildbase FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round tie at Colston Avenue this afternoon, in what was otherwise a reasonably evenly contested affair.


Tooting got off to the best possible start when Hady Ghandour, restored to the forward line in place of Danny Bassett who reverted to wing back, put the Terrors ahead after just five minutes with a well placed shot from just inside the penalty area, after breaking forward from midway inside the Carshalton half. Tooting continued to play well throughout the first half, soaking up whatever the Robins had to offer and continuing to look dangerous every time they broke forward down the flanks and although unable to add to their early effort, deservedly went into the break ahead. HT: Carshalton Athletic 0, TMUFC 1


The opening eleven minutes to the second half, is a time that the Terrors will want to quickly forget. As the home side looked to press for an early equaliser, where in the first half they had been quickly closed down n midfield and by the backline, in the second half, they were given time and space as instead of closing down, Tooting backed off. It took just five minutes of the second period for Carshalton to draw level. It was a great strike however it appeared that the goal scorer, Tommy Bradford, was given far too much time and space to size up his effort from outside the box. Six minutes later, they were in front, when once again, Tooting backed off defensively rather than closed down, giving Jeremiah Amoo, the time and space to place his 18 yard effort past James Shaw. This double setback seemed to jolt Tooting back into action again and they started to play again lie they had in the opening 45 minutes. Despite plenty of pressing, particularly in the closing ten minutes, and a couple of half chances, it was all too little too late for Tooting, who despite not disgracing themselves today against a team from a league higher, will be disappointed at the manner of the defeat. FT: Carshalton Athletic 2, TMUFC 1 Att 466


TMUFC lineup; James Shaw, Dean Hamlin, Sol Patterson-bohner, Nathan Daly, Danny Bassett, Razzaq Coleman, Daryl Coleman (Kyrique Garvey-Williams 71), Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, David Castanho (George Ademiluyi 67), Connor French (Junior Timite 80), Hady Ghandour, Unused subs; Kadeem Ajeon, Morgan Campbell, Nebay Haile, Antonio Simeone

Tuesday 26th November 2019                                                                                              Tooting and Mitcham 2 Whyteleafe 2 


Tooting bowed out of the Velocity Trophy to eventual Group winners, Whyteleafe, going down to the odd goal in three at the Campus Society Stadium last night.


With both sides resting a number of their senior players for this tie, things got off to a fairly even start. Tooting had most of the early possession however the visitors always looked dangerous on the break. After a couple of golden opportunities at either end, it was Whyteleafe who eventually took the lead when Aristide Bassele put them in front on 19 minutes. Three minutes later however the Terrors were back in the game when Junior Timite (pictured) levelled things up, neatly clipping the ball over the ‘keeper from close range. The visitors took the lead once again on 35 minutes through Junior Aikhionbare and that’s how the teams went in at the break. HT: TMUFC 1, Whyteleafe 2


The second half followed a similar pattern but without the goals. Tooting looked to press forward without any joy in front of goal, whilst Whyteleafe continued to look dangerous on the break, and ‘keeper James Shaw called into action to keep the Terrors in the game on more than one occasion. FT: TMUFC 1, Whyteleafe 2 Att 57


TMUFC line up; James Shaw, Nathan Daly, Antonio Simeone, Ahkeem Belford (Kynan Kirlew-Wright 83), Abdelah Sahnoun, Razzaq Coleman (Dean Hamlin 66), Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, Kyrique Garvey-Williams, Junior Timite, Hady Ghandour, Nebay Haile (Dontai Stewart 66), Unused subs; David Castanho, George Ademiluyi

Saturday 20th November 2019                                                                                                          Tooting and Mitcham 0 Marlow 0 

Tooting’s run of four consecutive defeats in all competitions came to an end today however they will still be the more disappointed of the two sides following this afternoon’s goalless draw with Marlow at the Campus Society Stadium.

There were a couple of new faces in the squad this afternoon, with new signing from Sevenoaks Town, Ainsley Everett named amongst the substitutes along with U23s striker Giuseppe Santacroce. There was also a surprise return to the starting line up for Jamarie Brissett, absent through injury for the past five weeks.


Tooting got off to a positive start and throughout the first half, ‘keeper James Shaw was pretty much a spectator. Despite the Terrors’ territorial advantage for most of the period there wasn’t a great deal to do either for his opposite number in the Marlow goal although had the chances that fell Tooting’s way been on target then he would’ve been a lot busier than he was. However it wasn’t to be and the result was a goalless opening forty five minutes. HT: TMUFC 0, Marlow 0


The second half followed a similar pattern, albeit in terms of territory and possession, the Terrors were probably even more dominant than they had been in the first half. There were strong shouts for a penalty about ten minutes from the end when new boy Ainsley Everett, on as a substitute, broke clear of two defenders and appeared to be felled inside the box as he closed in on goal. Marlow were reduced to ten men when substitute Jordan Brown was dismissed for a bad tackle on Nathan Daly after being on the field for less than five minutes. However perhaps the closest Tooting came to breaking the deadlock was in the final minute of the ninety when Razzaq Coleman turned and shot in one movement from 10 yards out, only to see his effort fly narrowly over the crossbar.

On a positive note, it was a solid defensive performance from the Terrors today however despite long periods of possession and pressure on the opposition penalty area they are still struggling to rediscover their cutting edge. FT: TMUFC 0, Marlow 0 Att 228


TMUFC line up; James Shaw, Dean Hamlin, Sol Patterson-bohner, Nathan Daly, Jamarie Brissett (Kyrique Garvey-Williams 69, Razzaq Coleman, Daryl Coleman, Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, David Castanho (Ainsley Everett 46), Danny Bassett, Hady Ghandour Jjunior Timite 89), Unused subs; Giuseppe Santacroce, Antonio Simeone